Standard Railcar RM 31 "TOKOMARU"
Built in 1938, RM31 is one of six built by the Hutt Workshops between 1938/39.
RM 31 was one of three purchased by the late John Murphy and was for a time held at Masterton, but was later placed on loan to the Pahiatua Railcar Society at Pahiatua. When John died, the car was bequeathed to the PRS along with the manuals and spare parts, some of which came from RM 33 and RM 35, that John had accumulated.
RM 31 attended the 2008 North Island Main Trunk centenary celebrations, but at the time was not mainline permitted. It was finally brought up to mainline standards in late 2011, and ditch lights mounted in the headstocks. The railcar then underwent mainline trials and crew training. Its first revenue run as a heritage rail vehicle took place on 12 February 2012.
As part of the mainline qualifications, RM 31 has been fitted with an events recorder, train radio, and ditch lights at either end. These are recessed into the railcar's front fairings so as not to detract from the original character of the railcar.
RM 31 has now traversed most of the North Island covering several thousand kilometers in heritage service.